“All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy” so goes a popular English adage. This statement sythenthised and put into use means class work without play makes students dull. The games department has gone ahead and given some objectives of the games activities so introduced to schools as follows:
- Games aim at making students healthy physically Exercise to all body parts is catered for and also the delicate
internal parts are strengthened e.g heart muscles, lungs e.t.c making the hearts and lungs resistant to the common ailments.
- Career: The department expects the learners to identify their talents and assist them into exploring them for future careers.
- Discipline: Games and discipline go hand in hand i.e no discipline no good performance. Since all games have their own rules, they shape the learners making them tolerant citizens who can even abide by the constitution.
- Patriotism: Every leaner and the entire school show love for their school through
- To promote national unity: As the students meet and interact with others through sports and games they learn to understand each other better.
- Creating a sence of responsibility among students: Since games are intrinsic, the department expects learners to show responsibility by playing their part.
ASPECT OF COMPETITION
The school has been a position for the last many years and organizing for the internal and external competitions as a way to help in achieving the above named goals.
Aims for competition
(i) To inculcate sportsmanship in student, teachers and the entire community.
(ii) To identify talents in individuals in all aspects for further improvements.
(iii) Reinforcement of the identified talents.
(iv) To make students have a sense of belonging. Helps schools to rate itself to other schools and to the
outside world. It creates a lot of confidence in students in all undertakings.
(v) To entertain the public Games makes students realize they are part of the environment and they came
to recognize their importance in the society.
OUR POSITIONIN GAMES
Our school offers a wide range of sports from
- Table and lawn tennis
MEMBERS OF THE GAMES DEPARTMENT
- Mr. KAGERA - Games Master (Basketball Coach)
- Mr. Ichugu - Rugby
- Mrs Monica Irungu - Handball
- Mr. Kagera - Basketball
- Mr. Barnabas Maina - Football
- Mr Macharia W. - Chess & Indoor Games.
- Mrs Esther Kuria - Swimming
- Mr. Eric Maina - Karate
Long Live the Pirates!
Basketball in Nyeri High School has been there for a long time and may be as old as the school itself. Over the years the team has grown from a simple team to a nationally recognized giant by having representing central province this year. Our outstanding performance in basketball has been lately achieved by students’ hard work and determination as well as support from the teachers and school administration.